Schuyler A. Smith is a senior associate in the firm’s Miami, Florida office. Ms. Smith concentrates her practice on commercial litigation matters and defending, personal injury, premises liability, and products liability lawsuits. She represents major hotels and resort chains, Fortune 500 companies, insurers, cruise lines, and transportation companies, in state and federal courts throughout Florida and the United States Virgin Islands.
Ms. Smith has extensive courtroom experience having begun her legal career as a trial attorney for the State of Florida Department of Children and Families and subsequently at a large Florida defense firm where she handled business litigation, professional liability, and labor and employment matters.
Ms. Smith was born and raised in Jamaica. Ms. Smith obtained her Juris Doctor from St. Thomas University School of Law and her Bachelor of Science in Political Science from the University of the West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica. While in law school, Ms. Smith served as an Editor for the St. Thomas Intercultural Human Rights Law Review, and was active in the Moot Court and Mock Trial Programs. Ms. Smith also served as an intern to the Honorable Chief Judge David Gersten of the Florida Third District Court of Appeal.
Ms. Smith has been consistently recognized as a Florida Super Lawyers “Rising Star.”
J.D., St. Thomas University School of Law, 2009
B.S., The University of the West Indies (with honors), 2006
- Florida, 2009
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida
- U.S. District Court, U.S. Virgin Islands
Associations & Memberships
- Florida Super Lawyer, Rising Star, Law & Politics (2014-2017)
- Caribbean Bar Association, President (2012-2013)
- Dade County Bar Young Lawyers Section: Board of Directors (2011-2014)
- Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division, Board of Governors: 11th Circuit Governor (2011-Present)
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division: Diversity Scholar (2012-2013)
- American Bar Association Vice Chair, Women in the Profession Committee (2013-2014)
- Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. Bar Association: Member (2010-Present)
- Domestic Violence Division of the 11th Judicial Circuit: Volunteer Guardian Ad Litem (2012-Present)
- Florida Bar Wm. Reece Smith, Jr. Leadership Academy Fellow (Inaugural Class)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF)
Experience & Recognition
- Obtained directed verdict, after third day of trial in federal court, where plaintiff sought damages in excess of seven figures from major U.S. retailer in premises liability claim.
- Negotiated six figure settlement in multi-party product liability where demand was in excess of eight million dollars.
- Obtained order granting summary judgment for Fortune 500 retailer in case involving falling object that caused catastrophic personal injuries.
- Obtained dismissal of tort claim against maritime stevedore company for lack of subject matter jurisdiction based on the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act.
- Obtained order granting summary judgment for Fortune 500 multinational retailing corporation in case involving slip and fall causing personal injuries and multiple surgeries.