Mike Bradford is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer. He has significant experience defending the world’s premier insurance companies and Fortune 500 corporations, having tried both bench and jury trials throughout Florida in state and federal court, and handled multiple arbitrations and appeals. Mike focuses his trial practice on the areas of insurance defense, insurance coverage, property and casualty, construction negligence, commercial litigation, and admiralty and maritime claims.
Mike is rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest peer review rating possible and a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence. He has been selected by his peers to Florida Trend Magazine’s Up and Coming Legal Elite list, and has been named a Florida “Super Lawyer” by Law & Politics.
Born and raised in the Tampa area, he served four years in the United States Army prior to attending college. Mike is active in his community and numerous professional organizations. He is a past member of the Board of Directors of the Hillsborough Head Start Community Foundation, a past member of the Board of Directors of Teaching Tools for Hillsborough Schools (formerly A Gift for Teaching of Tampa), and a former volunteer youth coach with the Tampa Metro Area YMCA and East Point Little League. Mike also served seven years as the Cubmaster for Cub Scout Pack 79, Brandon, Florida, Greater Tampa Bay Area Council, and now volunteers as an Assistant Scout Master for Troop 79, of which both of his sons are members.
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School
Moot Court Board, Managing Associate Justice
B.A., Cum Laude, University of South Florida
Notable Verdicts and Trial Experience
- Complete defense verdict on behalf of one of Florida’s largest homeowners’ insurers in first party property damage sinkhole claim, believed to be first defense/insurer verdict in a denied sinkhole claim involving a policy that requires “structural damage,” since the Florida Sinkhole Statutes significantly changed in May 2011.
- Complete defense victory and successful counterclaim on behalf of a leading heavy civil marine contractor in the trial of a negligence claim brought against it after a subaqueous utility strike occurred during the construction of a bridge in Florida.
- Defense jury verdict on behalf of one of Florida’s largest homeowners’ insurers in a claim of damage to a home from nearby quarry blasting.
- Defense jury verdict in a sinkhole trial in which the proper method of repair was disputed.
- Defense verdicts in the trials of claims brought by two separate homeowners against their homeowners’ insurer as a result of damage allegedly caused by the explosion of a neighboring grow house.
- Defense jury verdict in a sinkhole claim of improper partial denial and disputed method of repair.
- Defense verdict in personal injury case involving a claim of multiple fractures and reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD).
- Defense award in arbitration of customer securities claim involving allegations of churning and violations of Florida Blue Sky Law.
- Defense judgment in a marine insurance coverage dispute tried in federal court.
- Defense verdict in personal injury case involving rear end collision. The plaintiff was awarded past medical expenses, and no future damages. The judgment was less than the amount offered in settlement.
- Commercial landlord/tenant dispute tried to conclusion. Settled on favorable terms to the client before a verdict was returned.
- Favorable verdict in personal injury claim that a recreational vehicle fell on its owner, who was crawling under the RV, after improper maintenance of the RV’s hydraulic jacking system by the defendant.
- Favorable final arbitration award in a customer securities fraud/unfair trade practices claim against a financial adviser and firm in connection with the sale of annuities.
- Favorable final arbitration award in a case involving allegations of churning and breach of fiduciary duty in a customer’s account. Although a small award was made to the claimant, it was a fraction of the multi-million dollar claim asserted.
- Favorable judgment after trial in a marine salvage case involving the salvage of a sinking yacht. A small judgment was entered in favor of the salvor, as expected, but it was far less than the amount claimed and less than was offered in settlement.
- Successful appeal before the 11th Circuit Court of Appeal in a trade dress infringement insurance coverage claim.
Recognition & Memberships
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law
- AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest peer review rating possible
- Named to Florida Trend’s Up & Coming Legal Elite
- Florida Super Lawyer, Rising Star Law & Politics, 2009, 2016 – 2017
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Council on Litigation Management (CLM)
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (past Co-Chair, Securities Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Litigation and Tort Trial & Insurance Practice sections)
- Tampa Bay Inn of Court
- Tampa Bay Mariners Club
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute