Elizabeth A. Martin is a partner in the firm’s Miami office. Ms. Martin has dedicated her practice to the defense of admiralty and maritime claims, medical malpractice, personal injury and wrongful death, premises liability, and negligent security claims. She represents vessel owners and operators, the world’s leading cruise lines, shore excursion providers, major marine domestic and international underwriters, commercial property owners, luxury hotels and resorts, physicians and medical providers, and tour and transportation companies in all Florida state courts and the United States District Court for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida.
Ms. Martin is a third-generation Florida native and descendant of the Backus family, of renowned Florida artist and humanitarian A.E. Backus. Her non-legal background includes graduate studies in developmental psychology and research assistance and publication in entomology.
Ms. Martin is admitted to practice in all Florida state courts, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida and the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. She is a member of the Dade County Bar Association and Fort Lauderdale Mariner’s Club.
J.D., University of Miami School of Law; Entertainment and Sports Law Review and Moot Court Board
M.A., Developmental Psychology, Florida Atlantic University, Cum Laude
B.A., Florida Atlantic University, Magna Cum Laude
- United States District Court for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
- Consultant to out-of-state litigator at Client’s request to provide admiralty expertise during jury trial, resulting in complete defense verdict in products liability and catastrophic personal injury claim.
- Representation of major Florida hotel and resorts in premises liability and excursion liability matters.
- Dismissal of foreign Jones Act Seaman’s Maintenance and Cure Claim for Fraud, resulting in order awarding fees to vessel owner.
- Obtained judgment in favor of cruise line, granting recovery of fees and costs following dismissal of passenger injury claim on summary judgment.
- Limitation of liability action resulting in resolution of six-figure personal injury claim for nominal value of recreational vessel.
- Dismissal of passenger claim against cruise line for alleged negligent misrepresentation regarding shore excursion provider.
- Dade County Bar Association
- Fort Lauderdale Mariner’s Club