Marlon A. Hill is a partner in the firm’s Miami office. Mr. Hill is an experienced corporate, intellectual property and government transactions lawyer of over 20 years in an array of areas, including mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations; partnerships, joint ventures and LLC’s; closely-held corporations, shareholders’ and operating agreements; corporate startup governance and strategic development; trademark and copyright prosecution and licensing; marine contracts including charter contracts, passenger tickets, concessionaire agreements, and maritime employment contracts; and entertainment/arts agreements and contracts. Mr. Hill has also managed the filing of numerous business immigration petitions for investor entrepreneurs (EB-5), specialty occupation professionals (Hl-B), intra-company transferees (L-lA), and entertainers/artists/media talent (P/O).
Mr. Hill serves as outside general corporate counsel to a number of entrepreneurs, corporations, sovereign governments and related agencies, and not-for-profit organizations, especially in the tourism, hospitality, and media/entertainment industries.
Born in Kingston, Jamaica, Mr. Hill has been featured in the Daily Business Review as one of the “outstanding members of the emerging generation of South Florida business and professional leaders.” He is a past recipient of the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce Bill Colson Leadership Award (2016), M. Athalie Range Foundation, Bridge Builder Award (2012) and the inaugural Miami Foundation Ruth Shack Community Leadership Award (2010).
Mr. Hill is one of the Inaugural Fellows in the Miami Foundation’s Miami Fellows Initiative; a model of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation National leadership Program. Mr. Hill is a past president of the Caribbean Bar Association (2001-2003) and currently serves as a member of the board of directors for the Miami Parking Authority, Miami Book Fair International, and the Orange Bowl Committee. Mr. Hill is a weekly civic commentator, “The Peoples Politics”, on Caribbean Riddims, WHIM 1080AM, every Saturday at 4 pm, an op-ed writer for the Miami Herald and Sun-Sentinel covering issues of civic interest, legal concern, and social or cultural impact, and a recurring contributor to WPLG Local 10 “This Week in South Florida” Roundtable.
J.D., with honors, Florida State University College of Law
University of West Indies, Faculty of Law, Barbados, Summer Program
B.Sc. , International Business & Finance, Florida State University, Cum Laude
- Florida, 1995
Government Relations & Transactions
Intellectual Property Government
Media, Entertainment & Arts Business Immigration
Recognition & Memberships
- Florida Super Lawyer, Law & Politics, 2015-2017
- Catholic Legal Services, New Americans Award for Pro-Bono Service, 2016
- American Friends of Jamaica, Vanguard Leadership Award for Service, 2016
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Bill Colson Leadership Aware, 2016
- Caribbean Bar Association, President’s Award for Service, 2013
- M. Athalie Range Foundation, Bridge Builder Award, 2012
- M. Athalie Range Foundation, Bridge Builder Award, 2012
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund, Young Leader Award, 2010
- Leave A Legacy/Miami Foundation, Ruth Shack Community Leadership Award, 2010
- Miami Herald Top 20 Under 40 Business Leaders, 2010
- ICABA Most Accomplished Blacks in Law, 2009
- SUCCESS South Florida Magazine, 50 Most Influential Black Professionals, 2005
- Miami Herald’s Black History Profiles, 2002
- Daily Business Review’s “Leaders 2000 – Faces to Watch” Issue Miami Foundation’s Miami Fellows Initiative, 1999-2001
- National Philanthropy Day Outstanding Young Leader Award, 2000 United Way Essie Silva Community Builder Award, 1999
- United Way Essie Silva Community Builder Award, 1999
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), 2015-present
- Miami Parking Authority, Board member, 2003-present
- Orange Bowl Committee, Active Member and Board of Directors, 2009-present
- Miami Book Fair International, Advisory Board Member, 2013-present
- Florida Caribbean Student Association, Advisor, 1995-present
- The Miami Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2010-2016
- Florida Bar (Entertainment, Arts & Sports and Business Law Sections)
- Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. Bar Association
- Florida Association of Volunteer Action for Caribbean and Americas (FAVACA), Board member
- Kappa Alpha Psi Richmond-Perrine Alumni Chapter
- Caribbean Bar Association, President, 2001-2003
- Jay Malina International Trade Consortium, (Past) Board member
- Jamaican Diaspora Advisory Board Member, Southern United States, 2006-2011
- Representation of an international aviation parts broker in the drafting of corporate governance and financing transaction documents in multiple purchase, sale and financing transactions.
- Representation of a closely held multi-corporation conglomerate engaged in maritime bio-technology and specialized medical services on all aspects of maritime medical operations.
- Representation airport concessionaire in the review and negotiation of franchise and concession agreements.
- Advised a governmental tourism agency in connection with various multinational joint ventures, intellectual property transactions, and other general corporate agreements.
- Representation an international regional food chain in the establishment of U.S. operations.
- Representation of an international environmental engineering firm in establishment of U.S. operations, including, the drafting of corporate governance, procurement of licensing, assessing immigration options, and other general counsel.
- Represented various tourism, entertainment, and technology industry companies in their formation and governance development, and corporate transactions.
Scope of Transactions
- Startup Business Strategy and Structuring
- Corporate Restructuring
- Complex Business Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisition
- Partnership, Shareholder & Operating Agreements
- Business Purchase & Sale Negotiation and Agreements
- Corporate By-Laws & Articles
- Concessionaire and Licensing Agreements
- Employment Agreements
- Maritime Sale & Purchase Transactions
- Prosecution and Licensing of Intellectual Property (Trademarks & Copyrights)
- Business Immigration Matters (E, H, L, and O/P Visas)