Niva M. Harney-Hiller is a partner in the firm’s Miami, Florida office. Ms. Harney-Hiller dedicates her practice to defending claims of personal injury and wrongful death, negligent security, premises liability, construction defect, medical and professional malpractice, product liability, and commercial litigation.
Ms. Harney-Hiller’s clients include retail stores, major hotels & resorts, condominium associations, shopping malls, developers, the world’s premier cruise lines, and major insurance carriers. She also frequently represents foreign governments, individuals, and businesses in commercial disputes, including the government of Antigua &
Barbuda and disputes involving international and local corporations.
Ms. Harney-Hiller was born and raised in Antigua, West Indies. She earned her Juris Doctor and her LL.M. in Maritime and Admiralty Law from the University of Miami School of Law. During law school, Ms. Harney-Hiller was an intern with the Florida Supreme Court. She completed her undergraduate studies at Florida International University, graduating summa cum laude with a B.B.A. in Finance and Marketing and received the Outstanding Business Student Award for Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society.
Ms. Harney-Hiller is admitted to practice in Florida and the U.S. Virgin Islands. She is consistently recognized as a Florida Super Lawyers “Rising Star” and has recently joined the list of National Black Lawyers Top 40 Under 40.
J.D., University of Miami School of Law
LL.M., Maritime and Admiralty Law, University of Miami School of Law
B.B.A., summa cum laude, Florida International University
- Florida, 2006
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- United States District Court for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- U.S. District Court of the U.S. Virgin Islands
Recognition & Memberships
- Florida Super Lawyer, Rising Star, Law & Politics, 2012-2017
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF)
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color (CCWC)
- Caribbean Bar Association
- National Bar Association Commercial Law Section (NBA-CLS)
- Defending Claims of Negligent Response to Medical Emergency, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, 2015
- Identifying and Avoiding Contractor Fraud in Miami, FL and Beyond, – CARICOM Consular Corps. General Meeting, March 2013.
- Commercial litigation matter involving Antiguan government and multiple contractors and sub-contractors who performed construction services in constructing Antigua’s headquarters building in St. John’s, Antigua.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the cruise line in a shore excursion case where Plaintiff claimed significant injuries while on a zip lining shore excursion in Jamaica.
- Wrongful death matter involving an employee of a major company who was intoxicated while driving in the U.S. Virgin Islands resulting in death of two men. Successfully resolved pre-suit.
- Defense of negligent security and wrongful death matter involving a mall in the U.S. Virgin Islands where a tenant was shot upon exiting the mall. Achieved successful result on behalf of the mall.
- Successfully represented condominium association in a highly contentious multi-party matter involving substantial damages to a multi-million dollar penthouse unit.
- Successfully represented a Trinidadian Security Company in a commercial matter involving complex business dispute between the company’s commercial suppliers located in South Florida.
- Successful defended a crane maintenance company when damage was caused to a ship’s crane and slewing bearing.