Michelle A. Delancy is a Partner in the Miami office. Mrs. Delancy has been a civil trial attorney for 21 years and focuses her practice on commercial litigation matters with extensive experience in complex commercial, construction defense, real estate, and administrative litigation matters. She represents a client base of mid-sized businesses, entrepreneurs and corporations, as well as municipal bodies. Mrs. Delancy’s experience includes prosecuting and defending construction lien cases for contractors, subcontractors and business owners and she has successfully litigated complex commercial contract disputes in State and Federal Court. Mrs. Delancy also routinely litigates breach of contract, landlord/tenant and complex business disputes.
Mrs. Delancy is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. She is a member of the Florida Bar, Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. Bar Association, Gwen S. Cherry Bar Association, Caribbean Bar Association, and Dade County Bar Association. She is a Special Magistrate for the City of Pinecrest and has served as an adjunct law professor at Miami-Dade College Law Center since 2007.
Born in New York and raised in Miami, Mrs. Delancy holds a law degree from the University of Miami, School of Law and a Bachelor’s of Science in Foreign Service (B.S.F.S.) from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service. Mrs. Delancy was a Dean’s Fellow to the late Professor Richard Hausler and was an inaugural fellow in the Academic Achievement Program at the University of Miami School of Law. She was the recipient of the American Jurisprudence (“Book”) Award in Contracts and Torts law and was further honored with the West Award for excellence in Contracts law. Professionally, in 2010, Mrs. Delancy was selected as a Most Effective Lawyer finalist by the Daily Business Review and was a recipient of the 40 under 40 award by Success Magazine.
J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1995
– Dean’s Fellow, 1993
B.S.F.S., Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, 1992
- Florida, 1995
- United States District Court for the Southern Districts of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
Memberships & Recognition
- Civilian Investigative Panel (CIP), City of Miami
- Adjunct Legal Writing Professor, Miami-Dade College
- Wilkie D. Ferguson Bar Association
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL)
- Caribbean Bar Association
- Georgetown University Alumni Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF)
- AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest peer review rating possible
- Top Lawyer, 2015, Daily Business Review
- Most Effective Lawyer Finalist, 2010, Daily Business Review
- 40 Under 40 award, Success Magazine
- Dean’s Fellow to the late Professor Richard Hausler
- American Jurisprudence Book Award in Contracts and Torts law
- West Award for Excellence in Contracts law
- James Weldon Johnson Moot Court Competition Fellow
- Pro Bono Work:
- Law School Student Mentoring Program
Notable Verdicts and Trial Experience
- Payton v. Monterey Condo. Association – Successful defense at trial of unit owners’ claim for Negligence, Nuisance and Injunctive Relief against Association and additional unit owner.
- Bojangles, Inc. – Successful defense at trial of Employment Discrimination case where employee alleged disparate treatment against the employer.
- Fashion Café (2d circuit) – Suit against Fashion Supermodels for trademark infringement. We were successful in getting summary judgment granted in Defendant, Supermodels’ favor, noting that there was no sufficient use of the mark in the United States, though there may have been significant use in Italy.
- Building Inspection Services / Scherry Jenkins – Condominium Lien Foreclosure Defense. Client owned an Office Building. Plaintiff, Condo Association, liened the building claiming various unpaid assessments and late fees over the course of 10 years, totaling $187,000, including fees and costs. The trial court granted judgment in Plaintiff’s favor in the amount of $10,000. We appealed and the 4th DCA reversed for judgment in favor of Defendants and granted fees and costs, while restoring previously dismissed counterclaim for Slander of Title.
- State v. Bernard – Principal indicted on 2 counts of Official Misconduct and was facing 10 years state prison. After 3 and ½ year litigation, 23 state witnesses and a two week trial, we were successful in obtaining a 10-minute not guilty verdict on both counts.
- State v. Laidley – Successful defense of contractor at trial, accused of breach of contract and improper of use of foreign engineering license.
- State v. Po Construction Company – Successful defense of contractor at trial, accused of contracting outside of licensed jurisdiction.
March 11, 2017, Speaker
Rainmakers Academy: Starting Your Law Practice
“Retainer Agreements: Important Clauses – End of Representation, Time Limiters”
December 15, 2016, Speaker
Gwen S. Cherry Black Women Lawyers Association: Dine & Dish event
“Private Practice Start-Ups”
December 4, 2016, Speaker
Florida Classic CLE – Virgil Hawkins Florida Chapter
“Construction Litigation Pitfalls”
December 15, 2016, Speaker
Council of Litigation Management (CLM) presentation
“Construction Litigation in the Mediation Context”
June 2016, Moderator
“Eliminating the Sentencing Judge’s Bias”
October 2015, Speaker
Dade County Bar Association Seminar on the Bar and the Bench